Posts tagged ‘ikea’

September 16, 2013

Boring Malm Dresser transforms into Fabulous Campaign Dresser

by Gillian

A few weeks ago I started one of the DIY projects for my “baby of the world nursery” that I installed today.  I had seen several varieties of DIY campaign dressers on Pinterest and I knew it would be perfect for this space. Basically I took an inexpensive boring MALM 4-drawer chest  and transformed it into a fabulous campaign chest of drawers. I picked this gorgeous super glossy peacock-blue color (Benjamin Moore Evening Blue #2066-20) and lightly sanded and then painted each section first before assembling the dresser. I ended up using 3 coats of paints to get an even coverage and because of the humidity it took several weeks to completely dry.

aug - sept 2013 001 aug - sept 2013 003 aug - sept 2013 004

Once the paint was dry I enlisted the help of my handy hubby and brother to drill the hardware into the center of each drawer front and on each of the 4 corners of  every drawer. As you can see from the photo the hardware does not sit flush inside the drawer front because I did not have the tools to chisel out and recess the groove required. None of the other bloggers who worked on a similar project did that either (even though the hardware manufacturer says you should), so i just followed their lead. Once the piece is in the space you really can’t tell that the handle isn’t flush unless you’re standing directly in front of the dresser looking down.

aug - sept 2013 002 aug - sept 2013 004

photo 3 (3)

My brother put the whole piece together but because the paint was still a bit tacky it ended up peeling off in some spots. Fortunately we had some leftover paint so it was not a problem to touch up.

aug - sept 2013 005

I am so pleased with how it all turned out and I don’t think you would ever be able to tell that it was an Ikea piece!

photo 1 (3)

What Ikea pieces have you transformed?

Advertisements
July 9, 2013

Baby Of The World Nursery

by Gillian

I have some exciting news to share…I’m going to be an aunt to a baby boy who will be arriving around Halloween. I am super excited to meet him but also excited because my brother and sister-in-law have asked me to design the nursery. For those of you who do not know my sister-in-law is from Shanghai, where my brother met her, and they both love to travel so we’ve come up with a theme “Baby of The World” for the nursery.  Here’s a peak at the style board I’ve come up with:

2013-06-181

I found these adorable crib sheets that were the inspiration for the color scheme.

pillow

The walls are being painted Benjamin Moore Breath of Fresh Air 806, and I found a great light blue and cream chevron rug that is going to work perfectly. I am going to hack an Ikea Expedit bookcase and turn it into a storage bench underneath the window for all the toys, as well as transforming an Ikea Malm dresser into a campaign style changing table. Above the crib we’re going to install a huge map of the world similar to this one so my nephew can dream of his future travels around the globe.

world map

I’ll be posting updates on my DIY projects and of course the reveal when we’re through!

April 22, 2013

Faux Snakeskin Ikea Lack Table

by Gillian

DSC_5231

In addition to redoing my girls’ bedroom, I decided my living room needed a makeover as well. I don’t recall how I came across Emily’s blog Recently, but the moment I did I fell in love with her DIY faux snakeskin table and HAD to HAVE one of my very own. Her step by step instructions were so easy to follow. Click here for the step by step guide. Emily reused a plastic table that she picked up at goodwill. I purchased a very inexpensive LACK Sofa table from Ikea because I knew it would come in separate pieces and I thought that would be easier to work with. It’s a good shape and height but seriously lacking in personality.

lack hack

I purchased this faux snakeskin fabric from Hancock Fabrics on clearance for $1.99 a yard!! Talk about a bargain.

snakeskin

And I scooped up some Mod Podge and a sponge brush and was ready to begin. I ran out of mod podge half way through the project so make sure you have enough. You will need to paint it on the surface of your table to make it sticky and then again on top of the fabric several times to get it to harden and shine.  ( I used two 16oz bottles for the entire project.)

modpodge

My piece seemed a little rough, almost sandpaper like, when it was dry so I contacted Emily to see if she sealed her table with anything. She recommended Minwax Polycrylic finish so I applied 2 coats of once the mod podge dried.

minwax

I am beyond obsessed with my new table. Seriously, if you were to purchase this in a store you would pay hundreds, if not thousands for a similar table. A huge thanks to Emily for her inspiration!

DSC_5231

DSC_5229-001

DSC_5228-001